Here are some tips about bell peppers:
- Bell peppers add crunch, flavor and a rainbow of colors to salads, crudits platters, stir-fries, sandwiches, soups and casseroles.
- They can be grilled, roasted, steamed, sauteed, braised or stuffed with savory fillings.
- Choose peppers that have deep vivid colors, taut skin, and that are free of soft spots, blemishes and darkened areas. Their stems should be green and fresh looking.
- The shape of the pepper does not generally affect the quality, although it may result in excessive waste or not be suitable to certain recipe preparations.
- Peppers are available throughout the year but are usually in greater abundance during the summer and early fall months.